Thinking about building a DIY dog food dispenser? Check out this DIY project where I easily built a dog food dispenser for my pups!

Having four dogs, I am having to fill up their dog food container about once a week. Well, that’s a huge pain considering every time I have to hold a giant bag of dog food, while at the same time, try and aim/pour it into a container.

With this dispenser, I will be able to dump the entire bag of dog food into the top, then fill up my container from the chute I made at the bottom, in just a few seconds.


Here is a video showing the build process:

1) I grabbed some scrap pine 1xs and cut them all to 6 1/2″ wide, then to the below lengths. I also beveled the tops of the middle lengths, as well as the tops of the bottom lengths, to 60 degrees.

diy dog food dispenser 20
2) Next I glued the joints together. I used a combination of nails and screws to join these joints together.
diy dog food dispenser 19

3) To make a back, I set my two sides on some 1/2″ plywood and traced around them. Then I used my jigsaw to make a rough cut and cut it out. Note: I wanted my bottom chute to have a 5 1/2″ opening. Be sure to figure out how big would work for you before making your back.

4) Then I used my Kreg pocket jig to attach the sides to the back.

diy dog food dispenser 18diy dog food dispenser 17

5) With the back attached, I used my flush trim bit in my router to make it flush.

6) Now I used some 1/4″ plywood to make a front. I flipped the unit over and traced it out once again, and made another rough cut. I used my nail gun to attach it.

diy dog food dispenser 16
7) I gave it all a good sanding.
diy dog food dispenser 15

8) I grabbed this scrap piece of wood and cut in a 3/8″ dado, by running it through my table saw three times.

diy dog food dispenser 14diy dog food dispenser 13

9) Then cut it up and glued/nailed it in place to create a ‘track’.

diy dog food dispenser 12

10) Next, I cut some 1/4″ plywood to size and slipped it in place.

diy dog food dispenser 11diy dog food dispenser 10

11) To create a handle, I dug through my scrap box, found a triangle shape, and cut off the end to get the shape below. : )

diy dog food dispenser 8

12) Stuck it in place with glue and a clamp then had a functioning chute.

diy dog food dispenser 7

13) Next I cut a top to size from 3/4″ wood.

diy dog food dispenser 6

14) Then I threw on a part of a piano hinge left over from another project….

diy dog food dispenser 5diy dog food dispenser 4

15) I decided to use the french cleat system to hang it (see my post here if you aren’t familiar with it) I first found the studs with my Franklin Sensor and then used 3″ screws to attach the cleat on the wall.

diy dog food dispenser 3diy dog food dispenser 2
diy dog food dispenser 1

16) Last thing was to throw on some primer and paint.


It isn’t perfect, but it will save me from having to hold a 25 lb bag of dog food while trying to pour it into a small container. : ) I’ll be making a cat food dispenser next, but I am going to try out a different design for the bottom chute. I’ll post it when I’m done.

I hope everybody has a great weekend!

Total Cost: $0

Share This Project!


Related Projects