While I was cleaning my shop last week, I realized just how much hardware I was acquiring and also that I didn’t have a dedicated spot for any of it to go. I decided to take some time and build something to fix that problem. Note: I know that some of my readers are more into DIY crafts, this would also make for a great way to organize craft supplies. You could put the unit on a lazy susan if it is going to go in a carpeted area, and it can sit in the corner and rotate around just like a jewelry display.
Here is my newly built hardware storage cart:
Then here is a video showing the build process:
I looked around at current designs other people were using but didn’t really find too many that I would be willing to use in my shop. I didn’t want drawers (because I value visibility), I wanted something mobile and I wanted something that would hold a lot of bins. I saw the below set up and was really leaning towards building it, but then I got the idea to make it a four sided cart instead of an opening cabinet so that I could tuck it under my workbench when it isn’t being used.
Note: I was given four big cut offs of 1/2” MDF so that’s what I used for this project.
1) I made the body. I planned to make my small bins around 4” wide, so I wanted the body to be at least 14” wide. I cut two pieces 13” wide and the other two at 14”. I had 34” of space to work with under my bench, and I knew that I wanted to put 3” casters on the final cart, so I decided to make the body 26” tall.
2) Next, I used my Kreg pocket jig to make a few pocket holes in the sides and then screw them together. WilkerDon’t: I don’t know what I was thinking, but I only drilled pocket holes in one side and not the other. Eh, silly mistake. Instead of taking it apart to drill the pockets, I just glued and nailed the fourth side in place.
3) Then I cut a bottom. I made mine from 3/4 plywood because I don’t know how well the screws will hold onto MDF over time with all the movement from the casters. Once it was cut, I glued and nailed it into place with 2” nails.
4) To put on the casters, I held them in place while I traced the screw holes with a pencil. Then I came back and first drilled a pilot hole, then screwed them in place.
5) Now that the body was done, I started cutting all the pieces for my bins. Note: You can buy the bins at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight if making them seems too time consuming for you. It would have cost me around $80 to get the amount of bins I was after. I thought that was silly, plus I would have been stuck with their dimensions. Below are the dimensions I used for my smaller bins.
6) To put them together, I first glued and then nailed each piece. I used 3/4″ nails. I would start with attaching the sides, then add the back, then finally the lip.
7) I wanted my bins to be easily removable so I decided to use the french cleat system. I cut a few strips at 14″ long and 2″ wide and then beveled one side at 45. I then glued and nailed these on the body 1 1/2″ down from one another.
8) Then I cut the cleats that would go onto the back of the bins and glued then nailed them on. I made these 1 1/8″ tall.
9) Then I just repeated the steps and made a few medium sized bins. Click on the photo below for the dimensions I used.
10) I then glued and nailed the french cleats on the body but spaced these apart 1 7/8″.
11) Then once again, I repeated the steps to make two large size bins (I ran out of MDF or I would have made a third) : ) I spaced these french cleats down 6 5/8″
Tucks under my work bench nicely!
12) Last thing I did was paint it my shop colors. I was originally going to label the bins but after filling it up, I don’t have trouble seeing what’s inside so I decided to leave it alone.