One of my besties asked me if I could make her a simple jewelry holder for her earrings and necklaces. Of course I said yes, and this is what I ended up coming up with.
It was very simple, so if you want to make one here are the steps.
2) Then I used my scroll saw to cut it out. I wanted to give it more area to hang earrings so I made the inside cutout larger than the original template. I actually had a 8″x10″ piece of canvas in my shop so I just held that center and traced around it.
3) Next I purchased a small roll of 1/4″ wire mesh from Home Depot and used side cutters to cut a square to the size of my inside hole.
Let me pause and explain my next step. If I were to take my mesh and attach it directly to the back of my frame, then when it’s placed on a wall an earring wouldn’t have any clearance to hook onto the mesh because it would be mashed up against the wall. So to solve this….
4) I grabbed my router and set the bit to 1/4″, which is half the depth of my piece of wood, then I went around the inside perimeter and created a ‘step’.
5) Before adding the mesh I painted it.
6) Now I was able to take the mesh square and insert it into it’s place. To attach it to the frame, I used my staple gun.
7) I first laid out my marks on where I wanted the hooks to be placed. To make sure they ended up straight, I pulled out my tape measure and simply made a mark at every inch (so I ended up with 11 hooks).
8) So I lied earlier, the last last thing was to add a hanger on the back so it could be hung. Just turn it over and put it where you want it.
Now you can throw it on your wall and hang all your jewelry up. : )
Total Time: 2 hrs
Total Cost: $12